Monday, October 1, 2012

Budapest, Hungary: Food

First day for lunch I went to the main market and found a stand with a line of local so I got in line and just said I'll have what the guy in front me was having. Luckily it was good. Stuffed cabbage with sour kraut with lots of Paprika and covered in sour cream and chives. It was stuffed with spiced beef.
Note that Doner Kebabs in Budapest are called Gyro sandwiches.
Goulash soup served with a side of chili paste and bread. This was the best soup I've had so far. I added a good amount of chili paste and used all the bread to finish every last bit of soup.
I also did a Hungarian wine tasting at the Faust Wine Cellar. I had: 
Egri Varvedo "Castle Defender" 2009, a big bold red, not fruity, Leather
Tobacco, Medium/High tannins, No acid,
Sour cherry.
Szekszardi Kekfrankos Rose 2011, Medium viscosity, Lightly acidic, Light tannins, Dry.
By far my favorite type of dessert wine is Hungarian Tokaji. Tokaji is a wine region that for the most produces sweet wine.
Karadi Berger Selectio '08
Tokaji Koverszolo "Fat Grape" 2009, semi-sweet, late harvest

No comments:

Post a Comment